Six 16th DLI Officers, 1944

This informal group photograph seems to have been taken at Er Rama, Palestine at the same time as the large officers’ group photograph. Picture courtesy of G R Harris.

The officers are, left to right: Dr Huw Morus Jones MC, Maurice Richardson (Motor Transport Officer, HQ Company), Gordon Harris (Signal Platoon), Geoffrey Lindley (Intelligence Section), Frank Duffy MC (D Company) and Harry Mynheer MM (Support Company.). All of these officers were aboard the Christmas Day convoy that sailed from Liverpool on Christmas Day 1942. It’s very likely then that this is a photograph of the surviving 16 DLI officers from that era.

Dr H M Jones was awarded the Military Cross for his actions on 6/12/43. The actual MC and his WW2 campaign medals and associated paperwork (sadly the latter at a poor resolution) are pictured below. Prior to his Army service, Dr Jones was a house surgeon at the Norwich and Norfolk and at St. Bartholomew’s (London) Hospitals. He was commissioned in February 1942 and posted to 183 Field Ambulance, 139 Brigade, 46th Division.

He became Medical Officer of the 16th DLI sometime after the Battle of Sedjenane, replacing Lt S R Horne and served from the latter stages of the Tunisian Campaign through to October 1944, when he was posted to No 5 Casualty Clearing Station. He moved with 5th CCS into Austria at the end of the war. Captain Huw Morus Jones MC was demobbed in 1946 and returned to medical practice in Leamington Spa, Warwickshire. Postwar he was a founding member of the 16th Battalion DLI OCA and was a regular at the annual September Reunion in Durham.

Six Officers of 16 DLI
Medals of Dr H M Jones MC
Paperwork MC Dr H M Jones, attached 16DLI

NEXT

HOME